Friday, September 14, 2012

Ask Muffin! 9.14.2012


Erica M: "I don't know if it's just genetics/the way my nails grow, but the nails on both index fingers become really curved when I let them grow out. However, I have noticed that after I shower or do dishes, they have flattened out/uncurled. I'm just wondering a) why they do this/what causes this and b) is there anything I can do/use to try to keep them flattened out all the time? It doesn't hurt or anything, I'm just curious :)"

My biggest suggestion would be to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! I found this extremely helpful page that probably explains everything way better than I ever could:
So it sounds like using some cuticle oil is really all you can do. I would try applying it directly after you've had your hands in any water for a while. I've heard that this will keep them in that nice shape a little bit longer. Other than that, I might try cutting them down to nubbins (I know, this sounds like terrible advice, I could never bring myself to do this) and give them a fresh start to grow out again.

Galactic Lacquer: "What are some good ways to get rid of staining on nails? Like both yellowing, and pigment stains (from blue polishes, notably). I've heard of a couple methods, but I'm wondering what's best in your opinion! :)"

There are a whole bunch of different ways to remove stains from nails, and it really just depends on what works for you. I know how much of a pain smurf nails and yellow nails can be, so here are a few solutions that I've heard of:

Lemon juice – This is the one I use the most often. I usually use the lemon juice from a bottle, poor a bit into a small bowl, and hold each hand in it for about five minutes. There are no dramatic results but it really does work. I've heard that using juice from a freshly squeezed lemon or cutting a lemon in half and sticking your fingers directly in it works even better.

Hydrogen peroxide – I've never tried this one. I've never felt like it would be a good idea to soak your nails in it for a long period of time. However, you can use a cotton swab to rub some around on your nails without any problems.

Brushing them with whitening toothpaste – another one I haven’t tried out, but it sounds like a pretty good idea. 

Buffing nails – This usually removes any stains that aren't too deep. It also gives your nails that wonderful shiny clean look. It’s nice and easy and doesn't involve the hassle of gathering together your lemon juice or whatever and soaking your nails for a while.

Nail products – I've seen a few yellow nails correcting products at Sally Beauty that would probably work. I haven’t used any because I've had success with the lemon juice, but I believe most of them would work pretty well.

I think I might make a post soon testing out all of the different ways I've heard to de-yellow-ify your nails. I'll definitely let you know when I do! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment