Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How-To: Home Manicure

So your nails are terribly in need of a fancy manicure, but you just don't have the time or money to go out and have it done by a professional. Never fear; I've put together some tips and tricks here to give yourself your own manicure at home!

You will need:
- Nail Polish Remover
- Nail File
- Small bowl
- Lemon Juice
- Orange stick
- Vaseline
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Base coat
- Polish of your choice
- Top coat
- Small Brush

STEP ONE: REMOVE OLD NAIL POLISH

You can’t give yourself a manicure while still wearing your old polish, now can you? Use your favorite nail polish remover (acetone works, but I prefer to use a non-acetone one because it’s gentler) and get rid of that old polish on your nails.

STEP TWO: FILE YOUR NAILS

A square shape works best for longer nails because it is less likely to break, but choose whichever shape you most prefer. Cut your nails to a bit longer than the desired length and then file them into the shape you want. Try not to saw at your nails with the nail file because it can damage them; just file in one direction only until your nails are shaped perfectly.  


STEP THREE: SOAK IN WARM WATER

This softens up your cuticles. Take a small bowl, fill it with warm water, and soak your nails for around five minutes. If your nails are yellow from the previous polish, add some lemon juice to the water to help remove that color.


STEP FOUR: PUSH BACK YOUR CUTICLES (OPTIONAL)

I know that this is a big step in beautifying your nails, but I just don’t prefer pushing my cuticles back. I can be a little fidgety and so whenever I push back my cuticles, I end up picking at them until they look disgusting. If you do want to do this step, use an orange stick or even a popsicle stick and gently push back the cuticles.  

STEP FIVE: MOISTURIZE

I always make sure to keep my nails moisturized before covering them with polish. You can use fancy oils or whatever you want but I prefer to use Vaseline. It’s easy to use and almost everyone has it around the house. Just take a small amount and rub it into each nail and the cuticles.

STEP SIX: CLEAN THE NAILS

Put some rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle and spray it onto your nails. Use a towel or cotton ball to rub it around. It gets rid of all the icky oils built up on your nails and allows the polish to stick more easily.


STEP SEVEN: BASE COAT

Use a base coat to protect your nails and form a base for the color. Once you’ve applied it to all of the nails, let it dry for 10-30 minutes to prevent smudges and bubbles.

Beauty Secrets- Ridge Filler

STEP EIGHT: TIME FOR COLOR!

Now you can start with the color. If you want the best color to match your skin, check out this article to help you pick out the right nail polish. Paint your nails with two coats in thin layers. Again, let this dry for 10-30 minutes.

China Glaze - First Mate

STEP NINE: TOP COAT

It’s finally time to seal in the color and finish up your manicure. Grab your favorite top coat and gently paint each nail.

Sally Hansen - Strengthening Top Coat

STEP TEN: NAIL CLEAN UP

After your nails are fully dry, use a brush or cotton swab dipped in polish remover to clean up any stray nail polish that got on your skin.



And now you're done! Head out in confidence with your spiffy nails and prepare for all the compliments you're sure to receive. If you liked this post, please follow my blog and 'like' me on Facebook to see more of my tutorials!







2 comments:

  1. I don't push my cuticles either, & never see any need to! I can't even imagine cutting or trimming them like some ppl do, just the sight of one of those cuticle cutters makes me shiver lol! I know lots of ppl clean up with a brush, but I've always used Q-tips....which is pretty much the same thing I guess. Simple, quick & effective manicure...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I completely agree-- cutting my cuticles seems like a sure way to hurt myself.

      Delete